Thursday, July 10, 2014

No Huddle Discussion Part 3




Communication Systems

The no-huddle “language” should be easy enough for the offense to communicate with one another, yet complicated enough to confuse the defense.  Some teams signal from the sidelines, and the QB might verbally repeat the communication, while other teams just signal from the sideline and are silent on the field after the information is signaled in.  The University of Oregon brought forth a new way of communicating by having boards held up on the sidelines, while teams like Auburn use colored flip charts and numbers in a complex way of determining whether to look at the flip chart or the signaler.  Last but not least, players referring to wristbands, which can be communicated verbally or nonverbally.  No one style is better than the other, in fact everyone of these styles are run at the three top levels of football:  High School, college, and the NFL.

In my opinion, whatever type of communication method you chose, there are certain basic information that needs to be communicated to the offense.  Not in any specific order:

·         Personnel
·         Formations
·         Motion (if any)
·         Cadence
·         Tags
·         Protection

During my coaching experience at the high school level, I was always trying to figure out ways to “dummy down” the play call.  When I first started calling plays on Friday nights, I would change out my “X” receiver and have the kid replacing him run the play into the QB.  The problem that I found quickly was, by time that kid got to the huddle, he forgot the play or left something out.  The QB would look to the sideline and raise his hands in the air.  I could sense the frustration…


Researching the no-huddle by going to clinics, reading books, and talking with other coaches, made me realize there were better ways to communicate from the sideline to the players on the field.  Coach Scott Weaver helped me out tremendously with communication, and opened my eyes to new fun ways to get the kids involved in hand/arm signals and naming the plays.  I just want to say thank you for all your help Scott, those long late night phone calls brought us our first league title in 19 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment